Steve Jobs used to say that Apple TV is a hobby for him. Something that he is still exploring, something there will not make him big bucks if you want to put it in a business sense. But I feel that Apple is slowly treating Apple TV as a serious hobby, not just a hobby.
Reasons why Apple TV is a serious hobby now:
- Mirroring/AirPlay – iPhone and iPad has been 2 very successful product in recent years, and I think almost every house hold should at least have an iPad or iPhone. Having the ability to mirror whatever that is on your iPhone or iPad is going to be a big deal. Imagine the shows that you watch during your bus ride, or the photo you took on your way home. You can just flash it on the big screen TV you have in your living room!
- iTunes rental – Having the ability to rent any movie on your crouch is a very temping thing to have on your TV. You have that on your Apple TV
- Netflix – Although Netflix is only available in US now.
- Bluetooth support – Although it has yet to be announced, but having bluetooth supports, means you will be able to hook up keyboard and mouse/trackpad. You might be able to use Apple TV as a browser in future.
- FaceTime HD Support via iPad/iPhone – Guys over at 9to5mac and TiPb did a FaceTime and AirPlay it over to their big screen TV. How awesome is that?
- Price – Apple TV pricing at just USD$99 is a impulse buy product, although the features and function it has now are limited, but for just $99. You now can stream movies, rent drama series, see photo from your iPhone and continue the show you are watching on your iPad on your big screen TV. It is a must have product!
I’m very excited for the coming Apple TV generation 3, I’m sure it will support 1080p and who knows what will be install for us!