Many iPhone 3G and iPhone 3GS users have been complaining that their iPhone gotten sluggish and slow after updating to iOS 4 and above. There are many “un-proven” methods out there to improve the performance like hard-reset and restoring. But the only real way to solve this issue is to restore back to iOS 3.1.3 from iOS 4.
We all know that restoring previous version is a troublesome way, but it will be bringing back your old fast iPhone. So follow the guide below to restore your iPhone 3G or iPhone 3GS from iOS 4 to iOS 3.1.3
Step 1: Download iOS 3.1.3 and RecBoot
You will need the old iOS 3.1.3 Firmware file to do a restore, you can download iOS 3.1.3 here:
Else you can find the rest of the list here if yours is not the above 2.
You will need to download RecBoot that will help you “come out” from recovery mode when you do the restore on your iPhone
Step 2: Putting your iPhone into DFU Mode:
In order to do a restore, you need to put your iPhone into DFU Mode, so follow the steps below or watch the YouTube Video and follow the steps.
- Plug in your iPhone.
- Open up your iTunes
- Power it down by holding the sleep/lock button and sliding to power off.
- Once it’s powered down, press and hold both the sleep/lock button and the home button for ten seconds.
- After ten seconds, release the power button but continue holding down the home button.
- If you did it right, iTunes will pop up a window (like the one below) telling you that it’s detected an iPhone in recovery mode and your iPhone’s screen will be black. If it didn’t work, start from the beginning and try again.
Step 3 Actual Restoring Process
Once your got into DFU Mode, your iTunes should prompt your with such a message.
- Dismiss the alert prompt by clicking OK, then go to your iPhone under Device sidebar in iTunes.
- If you are on Windows, Hold on Shift key and click on restore, if you are on Mac, hold on to Option and click on Restore
- iTunes will prompt you to select restore file, select the iOS 3.1.3 file you just downloaded.
- The iPhone will start to restore, the whole process will take around 10-15mins.
- Once the iPhone finish restoring, you will be prompt this error
Don’t worry! Open up RecBoot file which you just downloaded, click on Exit Recovery Mode and you are done!
You can check out the YouTube Video on the restoring process if you are not sure below:
Step 4 Restore your Backup and Sync
By this point, you should be almost done, now you just need to restore your iPhone from your old backup and sync the apps and media back to your iPhone.